We've put together a huge page of useful links, from contacting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission to local attractions, friends, videos, gator info, camping and much more. Check it out!
Occasionally we get some jerks in airboats, on PWC's (jetskis), or in boats that think they own the river. They are rude and can be dangerous. If you encounter such a jerk, try to get their FL numbers, the numbers on the side of the boat then contact the FWC at: 1-888-404-FWCC (3922) or go online to http://myfwc.com/ and click on the report online link. You can report water safety violations after the fact. This is the Wildlife Alert Reward Program but includes water safety violations.
If you don't get their FL numbers, check with the Arcadia Outpost, they keep and eye on who's on the river and try to keep track of the FL numbers. The law does not say human-powered boats have the right-a-way. In a nutshell it reads: The vessel with the least maneuverability should be given "lee" (right-a-way). On the river, that usually means canoes and kayaks but not always.
Local Attractions, friends, and neighbors of Canoe Outpost-Peace River
Click here for a map of Arcadia which shows lodgings, cafes, shops, and other points of interest.
- Arcadia Airport- Coming to Arcadia by air? Check out our airport.
- VisitDeSoto is our comprehensive countywide tourism website. There are links to accomodations, restaurants, events, places to go, things to see, and things to do. Come Discover DeSoto.
- Farm House-Fresh Local Produce & Gifts - on north US 17 close to Brownville
- Antique Association of Arcadia - Antiquing in the historic downtown.
- Arcadia Rodeo - Rodeo time, the Granddaddy of 'Em All
- Arcadia Main Street - Check out our historic downtown. There's lots of antique stores and some great restaurants.
- Joshua Citrus -Local citrus supplier, gotta try the strawberry/orange juice!
- DeSoto Chamber - Local Chamber of Commerce site with Arcadia and DeSoto County information
- DeSoto County Government - Local county government info. Click on Administration button to e-mail the County Commissioners about problems with boats, PWCs, or airboats on the Peace River Canoe Trail. Only the County Commissioners can do anything about speed limits and motorized boats on the Peace River Paddle Trail.
- Difilippo : Artist wood furniture, art objects, and photography in downtown Arcadia
- Florida Outdoor Properties- Local realtor who can help you find your dream house or place to put down roots. Martin Realty is also the local art gallery featuring Florida artists.
- Mary Margaret's Tea & Biscuit - Great tea and food in historic downtown Arcadia
- Slim's BBQ & Grill- Long time BBQ place. Local favorite.
- Solomons Castle, Interesting, area attraction, NW of Arcadia
- Nav-A-Gator - Different part of the river and good food, SW of Arcadia
- Holiday Inn Express East of town by Wal-Mart & Chili's, approx. 3 miles away
- Knights Inn South of town on US 12, approx. 2.5 miles away
- Oak Park Inn in the historic downtown district, 2 miles away
- Peace River Campground - Campground right next door, right on the river. Allows ATVs and motorbikes. RV and tent camping.
- Brownville Park- County Campground up the road a little ways, right on the river. RV and tent camping. We put in at Brownville at the park.
- Riverside Resort- RV and tent camping in southern part of the county, right on the river.
Peace Paddler Websites - Visit some of our customer's websites
Speaking of friends, check out the YouTube videos of various Peace River paddlers
Note: Canoe Outpost-Peace River strongly recommends that you do not use rope swings, jump off any bridge or dive into the river. Some of these videos portray these activities.
- Peace River Canoe Camping Trip, the first for many of these youngsters. Lunch on the river and screening the gravel for shark's teeth-June 09
- Canoeing on Peace River, 8/4/09
- Peace River Canoe Trip KT Birthday Pics Video, 3/15/09
- Our camping trip to Peace River Feb. 2009, by anicaro95-family trip
- Luci(fer) the Parrot paddling the Peace, Feb 09
- Peace River trip/Gardner to Arcadia-no sound, Jan. 09
- Canoe Trip: Zolfo Springs to Gardner, May 2008
- Canoe Trip: May 2008-A Cuban Story, Gardner to Gardner
- Peace River 2008 Canoe Caravan
- 2007 Conga Rey Trip, Gardner to Arcadia
- Peace River 2007
- Paddle Trip, Sept. 2008, Zolfo to Gardner
Escapades of one group on the Peace River with Canoe Outpost-Peace River
Peace River Camping Helpful Hints
Paddling Tips for Peace Paddlers
Alligators on the Peace River
- Gatorama - Visit the alligator and crocodile experts. Started in 1957, Gatorama is one of Florida's first alligator attractions. Today, Gatorama offers a wild variety of Florida wildlife in a natural setting, continues as an operating alligator farm and offers farm-direct meat and leather products. On your way to Arcadia on 27 or when heading back home stop and visit them, south of the traffic light in Palmdale. Take a break, there's lots to see, buy some gator meat, and take a look at all kinds of gator gifts.
- Florida Wildlife Commission (FWC) Gator Info - General gator info from Fish and Wildlife Commission
- FL-Alligator - General gator info from Dept. of Agriculture
- University of Florida Gator Info - The American Alligator. Comprehensive information regarding the natural, commercial and social history of the American alligator in Florida.
Fishing on the Peace River
- Fishing info on the FWC website, click on Fishing tab, There are links to indentification of types of fish found on the river. There's also fishing tips. The Peace is freshwater on the upper stretches (Ft. Ogden trestle is considered the dividing line by locals). Check out the saltwater i.d. info too. The Peace River has snook, tarpon, needlefish, and you'll see mullet jumping. The snook and tarpon run the entire river.
What's growing on the Peace River?
- University of Florida, Pictures are seen quicker at this site but this site doesn't cover all wildflowers but includes trees and ferns.
- If you're doing a day run, the 8 or 12 mile, you're in DeSoto county. Go to DeSoto County Plants for a listing of plants commonly found in the area.
- If you're on the 19.5 mile, Zolfo Springs to Gardner, you're in Hardee County, go to Hardee County Plants for a listing of plants commonly found in the area.
Florida sites for the best, the undiscovered, the authentic, the real Florida.
- Southwest Florida Visitor Center, see what else there is to do in Southwest Florida
- Naples Zoo, home of four of Africa's top predators and the rarest tigers in America.
- Southwest Florida Attractions association for Southwest Florida, check out the area
- Florida Freshwater Frontier, The sights and sounds of the six local rural counties in the area including DeSoto County, the home of Canoe Outpost-Peace River.
- Fisheating Creek Outpost- Visit Fisheating Creek. Camping and paddling available. Same folks as Gatorama, see the gators wild or in captivity.
- Authentic Florida, check out what Florida really has to offer, see the authentic Florida.
- Haven't Been There, Haven't Done That!: Check out the quirky, off the beaten path sites that make Florida such an interesting place.
Florida Paddling & Outdoor Websites
Family Fun Websites